Wednesday 22 January 2014

Wooden Star Decorations - How To




I made these wooden stars for the kids' bedroom over the past two days. It was so simple to do and they make lovely finishing touches to bedrooms. I choose to just do the kids initials. But, you could do a full name. They have holes at two points on the stars, so instead of threading ribbon up the way it could run across to make a full name. 
I bought the MDF stars and letters from eBay. The stars came from this shop and come in packs of either 3 or 10. I bought the 3 pack and they cost £1.15 and £1.35 shipping. Meaning they were £2.50 in total. The letters were from here and cost 99p for one but the more you add the cheaper they get. Delivery is free.
I bought the paint pots from Homebase. They cost £1.50 each but they go a long way. I also bought a small tin of clear varnish with rainbow glitter through it. This cost £4.99 from Homebase. This also goes a long way. I painted both sets of hair accessories drawers and all of the items in the pictures with one tin. I bought a second tin but I didn't even really need it.



All you need to do is paint the star (or which ever shape you choose) in the colour of your choice. I gave mine two coats. Let it dry and then add the coat of varnish if you choose to. 



Next you will need a glue gun. You can also buy these from eBay really cheap. There's one available here for £4.50 and free delivery. It comes with 50 glue sticks which is a great buy! Add some glue to the backs of your letters and press them down hard onto the star. You will need to work fast and make sure you lay your shape down exactly where you want it first time as the glue sets very quickly! All that's left to do then is add the ribbon however you'd like it. I recommend running a lighter over the ends of the cut ribbon to prevent it from fraying. And you're done!



No comments:

Post a Comment