Tuesday 1 April 2014

Baby Macey


Baby Macey arrived on 21st March 2014 via scheduled c-section. She came into the world at 11.26am and weighed 7lb 4.5oz. I can't believe she's finally here!

Here's her birth story:
I had to be at the hospital at 8am on 21st March. I was told that I was the only scheduled c-section for that day so unless there was an emergency I'd be taken early. My Mum was my birth partner as Paul didn't want to be in the operating theater. When we arrived I was taken to the high dependency ward and given a bed. We were just to wait until it was time to go down. I was visited by midwives (both of them were the midwives I had during Logan's birth!), theater nurses, anesthesiologists and the surgeon. I decided to get sterilised at the same time as having the c-section so the surgeon went over every thing with me and even gave me possible scenarios in case I wanted to change my mind. As much as I would love to have another baby I will not take the risk of having a third c-section. I have three beautiful children to think about now. They will always come first. A part of me is sad that I will never be able to carry another baby but I know it's the best thing for me and my family.
I was finally given a gown to get changed into at about 10am. I was then taken down to the theater. It's so weird walking into the theater. Everyone was already there getting things prepared. I was asked to sit up on the bench and that's when the fun began!
It took almost an hour to get the spinal to work. That was the worst pain. They had to push their thumbs right into my spine to try and find the spaces. I have a giant bruise on my back from thumbs alone! Then the pain when they were inserting the wire thing.. they had to try and find the right place but it was giving me bad pains in my hips and spine. At one point I thought I was going to pass out so I had to lay down on my side. I thought they were going to just put me to sleep. I was so relieved when I finally felt my toes go numb!

Once the spinal took effect they got me to lay down on my back and started setting up the blind so I couldn't see what was happening. They double checked I was numb right up to my chest. Which I was. Then they began! The midwife told me I'd here a sucking sound like when you get to the end of a drink with a straw, and that was when the baby was ready to be born. The noise is the waters being sucked out. So, I just kept listening for that sound! As soon as I heard it I started crying because I knew she was almost here! They had to use forceps to get her out as she was a bit stuck up in my ribs. It left a little bruise on her cheek. She started crying straight away which was amazing! They wrapped her up and handed her to my mum and my mum held her next to me so I could see her whilst they did my sterilisation and fixed me back up. When it was all done they put Macey on my chest and wheeled me back to the high dependency ward. I was in there until around 8pm. I pretty much just held Macey on my chest the entire time! I let her go so I could get some toast and a bed bath. Paul took her and got her cleaned up and dressed. 
I was up and out of my bed to be moved to my room. I got a room to myself which was brilliant! I don't really like the whole open ward thing. My bed had a co-sleep crib on it as well which made my life so much easier for picking Macey up. I needed help all through the night for the first night. Help to feed and change Macey because I was still too sore to try to sit up and then lay back down etc. Plus I had a catheter so it made everything awkward.  
I had a two night stay at hospital and was allowed home on the Sunday afternoon because everything went so well! Macey is now 11 days old. She's doing amazingly. She only take roughly one and a half ounces each bottle but it seems to be doing her fine. She wakes every 2-3 hours for a feed. And she's starting to have a little bit of awake time throughout the day! She lost 4 ounces from her birth weight at the beginning but yesterday she was back up to 7lb 4.5oz! So, she's doing very well!
I'm also doing great. I have a bad back but that's down to the spinal. I was dreading getting my stitched out. I had a dressing covering my wound constantly so I didn't really know what was going on down there. However, when the midwife took my dressing off we discovered that my wound had been glued! Relief!


Keira and Logan both stayed at my mum and dad's house for the first week. They were just coming over to visit through the day. It was mostly because they are so boisterous and I'd just had major surgery. I didn't want to risk any injury. They're back home now of course and have adjusted brilliantly to having a baby sister. Logan is always very concerned if she cries etc. Think he's going to be a protective big brother! =) It's all kind of went over the top of Keira's head at the moment. But, she does give her baby sister love and hugs all the time! 


I've had a few tearful moments over the fact that I'm now infertile. But I know I've definitely done the right thing for myself and my family. I'll get used to the idea in time!



1 comment:

  1. You have such a gorgeous & perfect little family!! x

    ReplyDelete