Saturday 12 October 2013

Best and Worst Baby Buys

After having two children you learn what things babies actually need and which things are pretty much a waste of money. This pregnancy I know exactly what works for me and what I don't really need at all.

Worst buys:
Insulated bottle bags... they really don't keep anything warm.

Loads of bath products.. this is what I bought when I was expecting Keira. I ended up throwing a load of it away. It took me almost a year to go through a bottle of baby shampoo (and that was washing her hair most days). The bath box was also never used.

Electric steriliser. Took up much needed work top space and eventually went kind of rusty on the bottom. I feel like it was an unnecessary expense seeing as it was almost £50. 

Full baby bath. To me, this was just awkward and scary. Trying to hold onto a slippery baby. I didn't like it at all. 

Bath and bedroom thermometers. I didn't even use these. The duck was cute for in the bath as a toy though. 


Best buys:
Baby bath seat. This made my life so much easier. I was able to place this in the bath and then just fill the bath up enough for baby. There wasn't really anyway the baby could slip or fall. It also folds flat which is handy for space saving. I will be buying one of these again for sure!

Powdered milk storage pots. So handy for going out.

Flasks! These were a life saver! When going out I would fill a flask with boiled water cooled to the correct temperature. It was then so simple to fill up a bottle with water and then add the milk from a storage pot. Bottle was ready in seconds for my hungry baby. I also used flasks for night feeds. I filled one with boiled cold water and one with boiled hot water. When my baby started fussing through the night I added water from the cold flask and little from the hot to make the correct temperature. I then added milk from a storage pot. Again, my bottles were ready in seconds. Most of the time my kids weren't quite at the fully awake stage when being fed through the night which meant I was able to put then straight back down to sleep after burping them. Both my kids were sleeping through the night from 9 weeks old. I believe this is the reason why!

Microwave steriliser! Takes no time at all. Can be stored inside the microwave to save space. And a lot cheaper. Mines cost me £16 but Amazon are currently selling this for £13.49 free delivery. This includes a small sized Tommee Tippee bottle, a soother and tongs for picking up teets after sterilising. You get microwave sterilisers in other brands as well as Tommee Tippee. I know these bottles don't work for everyone.

I know a lot more now than what I did when I was first pregnant and I'm sure I'll learn more as I go. But at least I know now that I don't need to buy every single thing there is for babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment